Want to Run Faster?
Want to Run Faster? Fall is coming and it is a great time to work on your speed. The thing is, it is really difficult to work on both speed and endurance so it is best to work on speed when you are not running endurance races. I have been working on speed since June (after Grandma’s Marathon) and have learned some things. Here are my tips to get you running faster!
- Work on your 5K pace first. Set a goal and sign up for some 5Ks to test the results.
- Every week do 1 session of speed intervals such as 12 x 30 second runs (30 seconds run as fast as you can, then walk 30 seconds) after a 1 mile warm-up. Then each week increase the number of intervals or the duration of the speed portion here are some examples: 15 x 30 sec, 20 x 30 sec, 30 x 40 sec.
- Every week run a 5K practice run as fast as you can.
- All other runs during the week should be at an easier pace.
- Work on your cadence – try for above 180. Use a metronome app – download it on your phone and set it for 180 and try to run that pace. There are several free ones!
- I recommend running 3 to 4 times a week (2 speed runs and 1 to 2 easy runs) and 2 strength and conditioning days that include leg work, upper body work and dynamic/plyo exercises.
- Also take 1 to 2 rest days – your body will thank you!